On being a writer...


A celebration of the writing process, of being a writer, of all the weird things that pass through a writing brain...


Monday 4 November 2013

Penelope Fitzgerald

I see that Hermione Lee has written a new biography of Penelope Fitzgerald. I love everything about Fitzgerald's work, including her stunning book covers when she was published by Flamingo.  I knew she was successful late in life, but not the extraordinary life she had led.

The reason I love her work is partly circumstantial.  My own editor at Flamingo pressed Fitzgerald's novels into my hands one day, so I feel a little alliance with her.  And she breaks every rule.  Particularly The Beginning of Spring and The Blue Flower flicker in the mind because the writing appears to be so inconsequential and quirky.  But they present a wholly understated, surprising, new world to the reader and they shine this very quixotic light on history. 

Read read read.

No comments:

Post a Comment